Parole in Place for Military Family Members

United States military family members who entered the U.S. illegally may now qualify for adjustment of status to receive green cards and other U.S. immigration benefits.

According to a USCIS Policy Memorandum dated November 15, 2013,

Spouses, children and parents of Active Duty Members of the U.S. armed forces, the selected reserve of the ready reserve, and former members of the U.S. armed forces or selected reserve of the ready reserve may now seek to obtain green cards for family members in the US without the need for them to return to the home country, thereby triggering a bar upon departure.

This means that military family members may qualify for adjustment of status and obtain green cards while remaining in the United States via “parole in place.”

Family Members who are Eligible as an Immediate Relative for Parole in Place

  • Spouse
  • Unmarried child (under age 21)
  • Parent

Military Members Eligible for Parole in Place

  • Active duty member of the U.S. Armed Forces
  • Current Member of the Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve
  • Someone who has previously served in the U.S. Armed Forces or the Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve

Adjustment of Status via Parole in Place Lawyers

Parole in place can be granted only on a discretionary basis by USCIS so it is important to discuss your particular immigration situation with an experienced immigration lawyer. Please contact our firm today to schedule an initial consultation.